1. Attend the free BBVA Compass Pre-SXSW Startup Crawl on Thursday night, put on by the Capital Factory. It will give you a flavor of Austin’s startup ecosystem that just keeps getting bigger and bigger.
2. Check out these panels featuring Austin entrepreneurs and issues of importance to the technology community.
3. Austin Tech Entrepreneur Bryan Menell’s Austin High Tech Happy Hour THURSDAY from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Dogwood and sponsored by Austin-based financial technology startup Honest Dollar. It is the longest running technology happy hour in the city and the SXSW edition is sure to be a blast.
4. Damon Clinkscales’s Austin Open Coffee is a regular hot spot for Austin entrepreneurs and others to gather to talk tech. The SXSW edition always attracts a crowd. It takes place Tuesday at Atlassian’s headquarters starting at 9 a.m.
5. And if you have the big bucks, William Hurley, founder of Honest Dollar along with Will.i.am is hosting a reception for President Barack Obama Friday at an undisclosed location. Tickets start at $250. It is a Democratic Party National Fundraiser.
6. Want to know where the locals hang out? At the Entrepreneur’s Lounge, the rooftop bar at Fogo de Chao. The event is put on by Laura Beck and Bart Bohn. But it’s an invite-only crowd. So best to know someone in the know. At the nightly Meatup, (called that because of plates of meat and bread are served by waiters) you’ll find entrepreneurs, press, public relations people, venture capitalists, angel investors, bankers, lawyers, celebrities and just about everyone from the startup world. Also, Hometown Hangover Cure at Rattle Inn on Sunday. It’s an invite-only affair.
7. Use Ridescout to figure out how to get around Austin. The home-grown Austin-based company makes a transportation app that lays out all of your options from ride sharing to bicycling to various locations around town.
8. Eat some good food. Austin Eater has put together this list of the hottest places to eat in Austin right now. (The list is less than a week old).
9. Get outside and go for a walk around Lady Bird Lake. The hike and bike trail now goes completely around the lake for a 10 mile hike or run. Of course, you can take much shorter routes and only go a few miles. Then go cool off at Barton Springs Pool.
10. A Taste of Koko & Visit Austin holds its Second Annual Downtown Photo Walk on Saturday at 10 a.m. starting on the South Lawn of the Texas Capitol. You’ll get to visit a lot of the Austin iconic murals.
Bonus: The City of Austin has put together these four steps to being a Green Visitor.
Correction: This post originally reported the wrong day for High Tech Happy Hour. It is on Thursday.